These are projects, typically large capital projects, that are carried out in
multiple stages rather than as a single coordinated project. |
Listed below are some examples of phased projects:
sealant will be renewed on the south elevation in the first year (2015) and then on the
other elevations in subsequent years (2016, 2017 and 2018).
- Will paint the hallways on the 1st-12th floors in 2014 and on the remaining floors in 2015.
- Our townhouse complex is a phased development
that was constructed over several years. Therefore we scheduled our roof
replacement schedules into phases to match the respective construction
Some of the merits of phased projects:
Some of the limitation of phased projects:
- Reduce the
financial burden by spreading the costs over a longer period
- Ensure that highest priority work is done first.
- The owners will
likely pay more over the long term due to the re-mobilization of contractors.
- Protracted nuisance factor
- Some risk of failure of the incomplete work while waiting out the period between the phases
Fig. A project implemented over three phases distributed
over three consecutive years.